Life-Changing Book

 

What book that you’ve read was life changing?

 

It has been my experience that people who write tend to be people who love to read.  I myself was raised by a reader and sharing books has always been part of my life.  

I love to share my favorite books and have given away more copies of some books than I can even count.  I do not currently own one of my favorite books because I gave my copy away.  

If I don’t know what to get someone as a gift, I always give them a book.  Family, friends, teachers, acquaintances - if you know them a little bit you can find a book.  Or ask a friend who reads and they can make suggestions.  

I have many books that have altered the course of my life but for this topic if any of you don’t know this book - find it, read it, and absorb what it says.  It’s called ‘The Four Agreements’ by Don Miguel Ruiz and if you haven’t heard of it, I would be surprised.  It’s been a bestseller for over a DECADE, has sold more than 10 million books in the US alone, and been translated into 46 languages.  It was first published in 1997 and was still #3 on the bestseller list in 2021!  Talk about longevity!

This book has the power to change your life by very simply teaching you four principal agreements that limit you from possibility.  

The Four Agreements are:

 

Be Impeccable With Your Word

Don’t Take Anything Personally

Don’t Make Assumptions

Always Do Your Best

 

Obviously he drills down deeper in the book. I will tell you that for me, none of these things were as easy as they sound. It can be quite difficult.  Do you know that song, Let It Go from the movie Frozen?  Turns out that’s harder than it sounds too - but once you start doing it, it’s harder to stop.

It may be age or gathered wisdom but these things come easier to me now.  I do them without thinking because I have spent time digging down deep and striving to live authentically.  I found that you have to let go of things, and some people, that don’t take your best interests into consideration.  

When the day is done and it is time to rest, you can ask yourself if you maintained your agreements with yourself.  If you did, rest comes easy.  

Comments

  1. EXCELLENT choice! And I'm with you on things becoming easier with time and purposefulness. My default mode has changed through the years, partially, I believe, because the passing of time makes us increasingly clear about who we are, what matters, and what doesn't. Additionally, I decided many years ago that whenever I'd find myself falling into a thought that was automatic but did not help me to be who I wanted to be, I would immediately correct myself. Not aloud, simply in my head: "No, that's not true."

    All of it adds up. Our every thought and action, no matter how small. And yes, learning to let go--of thoughts, unhealthy default modes, situations, and even people is vital. Hard at first, like everything, but with practice, new default mode. I no longer chase what isn't meant for me. I wish it well and let it go. Life changing!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read that one. Mostly because I usually read "How to" books, or Sci Fi. Sounds like good advice though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GBE #2 - week 22 - Safe haven

GB2 - Week 21 - Clarity

Week #24 - Popularity